A visit to Norfolk is incomplete without a round of freshly shucked oysters. We love to eat them a million different ways – raw, steamed, baked, you name it! However, the best way to enjoy these salty bivalves is with friends! From downtown to Ocean View, Norfolk has you covered when it comes to oysters. When you are in the mood for shucks and fun , check out these ten local favorites to get your oyster fix!
1. Shiptown: Recently opened, Shiptown, is the sister restaurant to Norfolk favorite Le Grand Kitchen. Shiptown, a seafood focused restaurant, features an old school oyster bar, along with divine seasonal menus. They work closely with local oystermen to deliver the freshest flavors!
2. Saltine: Hilton Norfolk’s The Main hotel features Saltine, their street level seafood restaurant. Saltine offers a fresh approach to seafood in Norfolk, among it’s airy open environment, with garage door windows that open to the main streets of downtown Norfolk. Their happy hour oyster deal is all the rave, at 50 cents per oyster!
3.Todd Jurich’s Bistro: This Downtown Bistro has been open since 1992, featuring seasonal menus with fresh local ingredients from vegetable gardens and small produce farms from all over Virginia. The Bistro additionally holds the Triple AAA Four Diamond Award for 2002-2006. Todd's proudly serves hand harvested oysters from Virginia's Eastern Shore.
4. A.W. Shucks: A laid back raw bar & grill specializing in oysters and other seafood, featuring an array of draft beers. Their oyster menu features favorites from up and down the East Coast. Take a seat at the bar and learn more about the oysters from the bartender, who also tends to the raw bar.
5. Norfolk Seafood Company & Big Easy Oyster Bar: Simply a seafood lover’s heaven, with all the traditional plates without the fancy prices. Each night, this oyster bar serves up four to seven different types of oysters from the Chesapeake Bay to New England.
6. Byrd & Baldwin Steakhouse: A traditional steakhouse located in a gorgeous, historic building built in 1906 in Downtown Norfolk. Executive Chef Carlton Spurlock brings his culinary expertise to every dish served. Byrd & Baldwin serves up the tastiest James River oysters.
7. Small’s Smokehouse & Oyster Bar: Where you can find freshly caught seafood from Virginia’s Eastern Shore, along with dynamite BBQ. With a down-home family atmosphere and daily promotional specials, there is something for everyone.
8. Captain Groovy’s Raw Bar: Wharf-themed eatery offering regional seafood dishes and casual cuisine with a full bar and patio. Captain Groovy's proudly serves seaside Eastern Shore oysters in an array of variations from oyster stew to East Beach style (topped with spinach, onion, bacon and parmesan cheese).
9. Rappahannock Oyster Co.: A well-known oyster company from Topping, Virginia, that has a new location in Norfolk's Waterside District. The motto behind Rappahannock Oyster Company is simple, "good food, grow well."
10. Chow: Located in the North Colley part of town is Chow, a restaurant that serves up delicious comfort food! A must try item on their menu is their Sea Salt Roasted Oysters, a dozen oysters that are roasted to perfection. Another oyster dish that you shouldn't sleep on – Chow's Fried Oyster Sandwich!