Claim Best of Show and Other Awards in the 2017 Virginia Craft Beer Cup.
Norfolk is home to seven fantastic breweries – O’Connor Brewing Co., Coelacanth Brewing Co., Smartmouth Brewing Co., The Bold Mariner Brewing Co., Rip Rap Brewing Co., Bearded Bird Brewing and Benchtop Brewing Co. – attracting beer lovers from near and far. Norfolk’s breweries had an impressive showing at the 2017 Virginia Craft Beer Cup, the largest state competition of its kind in the country.
Norfolk’s breweries placed in the following categories:
- Best of Show – First Place, Smartmouth Brewing Company, Safety Dance
- Pale Bitter European Beer – First Place – Smartmouth Brewing Company, Safety Dance
- Scottish and Irish Ale – Third Place – The Bold Mariner Brewing Company, Red Maiden
- Standard American Beer – Third Place – Rip Rap Brewing Company, Breakwater
- American Porter and Stout – Second Place – Coelacanth Brewing Company, Quiet Storm
- Historical, Alternative, and American Wild Ale – First Place – Coelacanth Brewing Company, Passion Fruit Gose
- Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer – Third Place – The Bold Mariner Brewing Company, Baja Roasted Ale
- Specialty Beer – First Place – Benchtop Brewing Company, Trial of Dmitri
Norfolk’s breweries will be featuring their award-winning beers in their tasting rooms, at festivals and through their wholesale and retail partners.
The 2017 Virginia Craft Beer Cup Awards Ceremony was held on June 5 in Richmond, Virginia. There were more than 240 brewers in attendance, with 356 beers entered in 24 categories. "The Virginia Craft Beer Cup recognizes brilliant independent craft beer and the creativity of the brewers that make it all happen," said Brett Vassey, president & CEO of Virginia Craft Brewers Guild.
The VCBG encourages craft beer enthusiasts to tour these breweries and sample these great craft beers. Click here to plan your Norfolk craft beer excursion!