Featuring 37th Annual Norfolk Harborfest®
Norfolk, VA, (January 31, 2013) - Norfolk Festevents and the City of Norfolk are pleased to announce the official Norfolk Festevents 2013 Schedule of Events for Town Point Park on the Downtown Norfolk, Virginia Waterfront.
Norfolk Festevents has the region’s social calendar booked for 2013, with 75 spectacular events confirmed in Town Point Park along the Elizabeth River! Celebrate life daily with signature favorites including the 37th Annual Norfolk Harborfest, the 24th Annual AT&T Bayou Boogaloo & Cajun Food Festival, the 26th Annual AT&T Town Point Virginia Wine Festival, the 31st Annual Norfolk Jazz Festival and the 25th Annual AT&T Virginia Children’s Festival.
Celebrating the East Coast’s premier waterfront festival in its 37th year, Norfolk Harborfest® will return June 6-9, 2013. For four memorable days, the Downtown Norfolk Waterfront transforms into an exciting playground for people of all ages. The historic waterfront festival offers a weekend packed with exciting activities on land and sea to include tall ships and the Parade of Sail, the largest fireworks show on the East Coast, family activities, national entertainment and much more.
- NEW! Reality TV Star Katie Balloons, from TLC’s “The Unpoppables” will be making her debut appearance at Norfolk Harborfest®. One of the most sought after balloon professionals in the world, Katie Balloons uplifts the masses and inspires a new generation of creation. Her approach is clean and innovative, possessing a modernism rarely associated with ballooning. Katie creates striking inflatable art and engages all types of audiences with her natural command of the stage. She is the only female balloon artist to star on a TV show about her work and is recognized by clients and peers as a leader in the industry. In the world of balloons, Katie's versatility and charisma are unparalleled.
- Rusted Root will headline the Budweiser Main Stage at Norfolk Harborfest® on Sunday, June 9, 2013. Known for their unique fusion of acoustic, rock, world and other styles of music, with a strong percussion section that draws from African, Latin American, and Native American influences. Rusted Root has sold more than three million albums worldwide.
- Colours Junkanoo Carnival Returns to Norfolk Harborfest®! Colours Junakanoo is back at Harborfest! The world famous parade unit from Nassau, Bahamas will travel to Norfolk to perform "rushouts" throughout the weekend. Making music from goatskin drums, cowbells, whistles, horns and conch shells and wearing beautiful vibrant handmade costumes, this is a must see performance!
- Back by popular demand, The HarborFEAST Seafood Sampler will kick off the festivities on Thursday, June 6th from 6-9pm. Tickets are required for admittance into the all you care to eat HarborFEAST Seafood Sampler while Norfolk Harborfest® is free & open to the public.
More 2013 event season highlights to mark down on your calendars:
- North Mississippi All Stars will make their first appearance in Town Point Park on the Budweiser Main Stage at Bayou Boogaloo and Cajun Food Festival on Friday June 21.
- Jonathan Butler, Sheila E and Elan Trotman take the stage as Souls of Summer at Norfolk Jazz Festival on Saturday July 20.
New this year to the Norfolk Festevents 2013 lineup is the RibtoberFest. The inaugural RibtoberFest will have the best of both worlds as Beer & BBQ collide in one deliciously mouth watering food for all, featuring finger-lickin good BBQ, fabulously frosty craft brews, live music, restaurant competitions, and great family fun.
Fairies, monsters, shipwrecks, magic and more come to Town Point Park with the Virginia Stage Company’s exciting production of Shakespeare’s The Tempest. Enjoy pre-show entertainment featuring merriment for all ages all the while feasting on Elizabethan faire. A Mid-Summer Fantasy in the Park is produced by the Virginia Stage Company and takes place Friday-Sunday, July 26-28, 2013.
Due to overwhelming popularity, Norfolk Festevents has added event dates to existing festivals to keep the party going in Downtown Norfolk. The 7th Annual Spring Town Point Virginia Wine Festival and the 12th Annual Virginia Beer Festival both go from one to two days of fun along the Elizabeth River! The 31st Annual Norfolk Jazz Festival adds a 3rd day to the calendar with Scope as an alternate rain site in the event of inclement weather.
Festevents is proud of all of its strong relationships within the community and especially with the partnerships that continue to grow stronger season after season, making the Downtown Norfolk Waterfront the place to be all spring and summer long. Festevents works with dozens of small businesses and has significant economic impact in the community. The 2012 estimated economic impact, including OpSail 2012 Virginia® was over $135 million.
Mark your calendars with the following dates:
Town Point Park Signature Events:
- 37th Annual Norfolk Harborfest ®: June 6-9
- featuring the AT&T HarborFEAST Seafood Sampler: June 6, 2013- 6pm-9pm (ticketed event)
- featuring the 8th Annual Bayou Ball in partnership with the Arts Council of New Orleans: June 20
- 24th Annual AT&T Bayou Boogaloo & Cajun Food Festival: June 20-23 (ticketed event)
- 31st Annual AT&T Fourth of July Great American Picnic & Fireworks, July 4
- 31st Annual Norfolk Jazz Festival presented by the City of Norfolk: July 19-21 (ticketed event)
- 25th Annual AT&T Virginia Children’s Festival: October 5 (ticketed event)
“Savor the Flavor” Town Point Tasting Series
- 7th Annual AT&T Spring Town Point Virginia Wine Festival: May 4-5 (ticketed event)
- 12th Annual Virginia Beer Festival in partnership with Virginia Arts Festival: May 18-19 (ticketed event)
- 3rd Annual AT&T Summer BrewFest: July 12
- AT&T Fresh Catch Friday: Every Friday in August
- AT&T Bubbles & Bluejeans: September 6
- NEW! AT&T RibtoberFest: September 21
- 26th Annual AT&T Town Point Virginia Wine Festival: October 19-20 (ticketed event)
“River Rhythms” Town Point Music Series
- 12th Annual AT&T Norfolk Latino Music Festival: August 24
- 2nd Annual ETC- Norfolk’s Indie Music & Arts Festival; September 14
Town Point Park Performing Arts Series
- NEW! A Mid- Summer Fantasy in the Park; partnership with the Virginia Stage Company: July 26-28
- 5th Annual Opera in the Park in partnership with the Virginia Opera: September 7
TowneBank Fountain Park Events (adjacent to Waterside District Marketplace and Waterside Marina):
- 4th Annual AT&T Spring Fountain Fair: April 20
- April 20 – September 30: TowneBank Fountain Park open for daily operation.
- AT&T Festevents Fridays Series: Select Fridays from May 3 – August 30
- AT&T Cinema Under the Stars Movie Series: Select Saturdays from July 6 – August 31
- AT&T Fountain Field Days: Every Wednesday from June 19 - August 28
- 8thAnnual Mid-Autumn Moon Festival: September 8
Tickets for all ticketed events are scheduled to go on sale February 14 at www.festevents.org.
All Norfolk Festevents events are certified Virginia Green. Norfolk Festevents believes the community needs to take innovative steps to reduce energy usage and promote sustainability. We encourage implementation of specific environmental policies and practical actions that help reduce the Park’s carbon footprint. Guests at all events are encouraged to place empty beverage bottle or aluminum can in any receptacle labeled for that purpose. Look for the special blue top containers with the "Norfolk Recycles" logo. With your help Town Point Park will be cleaner and more waste will be made into new products, saving energy and landfill space for future generations. This service is being brought to you by a partnership between the City of Norfolk, Norfolk Festevents, Anheuser Busch, Virginia Green and Tidewater Fibre Corp.
Norfolk Festevents strives to give back to the Hampton Roads community. Since 1983, Norfolk Festevents has partnered with and made contributions to area charities through the Service Club Beverage Sales Program. The 2012 Service Club Beverage Sales Program generated over $60,000 for local charities. Over 3 million dollars have been donated directly to local charities since the Program’s inception. Local organizations like Down Syndrome Association of Hampton Roads, Kiwanis Club of Norfolk, Little Creek Lion's Club, REACH, Inc. and The Up Center all benefit greatly from the fundraising opportunities and the social experience their members receive.
Events are produced by Norfolk Festevents in partnership with Port of Virginia and presented by AT&T, the City of Norfolk, Norfolk Waterside Marriott, Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge/Ram, TowneBank and CFE Equipment Corporation.
Norfolk Festevents, Ltd. is a private not for profit organization dedicated to producing premier concerts, festivals, ship visits and special events and city celebrations for residents and guests of Hampton Roads. Entering its 31st season, Norfolk Festevents has garnered international acclaim for its outstanding quality programming. Norfolk Festevents is the official event marketing and production agency for the City of Norfolk, Virginia.