Norfolk’s live music scene is rapidly growing, bringing out local musicians and touring bands from across the nation. Classic rock, indie folk, even smooth Jazz, there is a genre and a show for everyone. When you’re in the area, check out the following venues for a feel of the Norfolk music scene. From large venue to intimate, the music will always please. Music lovers, unite!
- The NorVa- Did you know the NorVa was named the No.1 concert venue in the country by a Rolling Stone readers’ poll? The NorVA is Norfolk’s largest concert venue, with shows featuring top of the chart musicians and bands. The NorVa Theatre first opened in 1917 as a Vaudeville theater, and later thrived as a premier movie theatre. Now, The NorVa is one of the most popular concert destinations in The Hampton Roads area.
- Charlie’s American Cafe - TBA Productions, created by a group of Norfolk locals, put together shows at Charlie’s all throughout the week. TBA Productions has made such progress in supporting and expanding Norfolk’s music scene, standing strong behind their motto “Bringing people together to enjoy unique live music & art events in Norfolk, VA, and beyond.”
- Norfolk Taphouse- Punk rock, garage rock, and heavy metal lovers, Norfolk Taphouse is your spot. Taphouse provides ground for local bands, and has been a regular stop for national and regional touring acts since 1995.
- Toast- One of Norfolk’s favorite restaurants, Toast, is now hosting small, ongoing music festivals called LAVA MiniFest. LAVA MiniFest hosts awesome local bands, along with musicians from afar. Famed Charles Bradley and Minus the Bear have both preformed at LavaFest events, along with a variety of bands. The highly anticipated pop-up concerts are ones to keep an eye out for. A must experience Norfolk live music outing!
- Work Release/Commune- Newly opened Commune, a farmer owned restaurant that sources all of their ingredients locally, has collaborated with former Work Release in exhibiting art and live music offerings on Friday and Saturday nights. Notable bands such as Of Montreal and D.R.A.M have played Work Release, with rave reviews. The open, industrial environment at Work Relase/Commune is different than any venue in the area, centrally located in Norfolk’s NEON (New Energy of Norfolk) Arts District.
- The Barrel Room - This lively downtown staple provides fantastic food, craft beer, artisanal wine, premium spirits, and outstanding live music. Keep up with their live music schedule on their website!
- FM -In beautiful downtown Norfolk, on Granby Street, you’ll find FM Restaurant, where they feature live music through the week. FM is directly connected to The Norva, with an offering called Early Entry, which includes entry into any show at The Norva 15 minutes before the main doors open!