Accessible Areas: Chesapeake Bay, Hampton Roads Bridge Special Instructions: Launch east or west of swim area; unlawful to launch from or paddle in swim area
Accessible Areas: Chesapeake Bay, Hampton Roads Bridge Special Instructions: Launch east or west of swim area; unlawful to launch from or paddle in swim area
The Martin Mansion, home to the Woman’s Club of Norfolk since 1925, is located in beautiful historic Ghent in Norfolk, Virginia. The Alvah Martin Mansion was built circa 1909. It is a 10,000 sq. ft., 21 room, brick Georgian revival and is available for a limited number of rentals per year. It is closed to events during August. The Woman’s Club purchased the Mansion in 1925 from the Martin Family; the home was originally sold in 1920 to the Virginia Club, a gentleman’s organization now located in downtown Norfolk. Norfolk’s Renaissance Man, Alvah Martin, the original owner of what is now The Woman’s Club of Norfolk, watched his stately mansion being built in 1909 from his family’s home next door. An ink portrait of Alvah and Mary Martin, discovered in the Mansion’s 3rd floor attic, now resides downstairs, kindly overseeing events at their former home. Alvah was a noted attorney, bank president, and Norfolk county clerk for 33 years. He also served on President Taft’s Executive Committee and used his influence with the President to secure the Port of Norfolk, the deepest water harbor on the US East Coast, as the port of entry for the State of Virginia, a historic maritime decision that has led to significant regional, state, national and global impact.
The Naro is a single-theater art film cinema. Recently extensively refurbished, the Naro continues to be the home for Norfolk’s artistic cinema. The Naro is also home to one of the world’s longest-running showings of the Rocky Horror Picture Show, with regularly-scheduled showings since 1978.
Designed by Ammi B. Young, this Classical Revival structure remains one of Norfolk’s most impressive buildings. It has housed both customs offices and the post office, and was used by Federal troops as a dungeon between 1862 and 1865. It was built to replace a dilapidated 1825 structure several blocks away, where a grand ball honoring General Lafayette had been held in 1824.
Exhibitions rotate every 6 to 8 weeks.
The Norfolk Police Department was established in 1797. The Norfolk Police Museum, a unit within NPD, was established in 1919. Norfolk Fire-Rescue was established in 1871. The Norfolk Fire-Rescue Museum, a unit within NF-R, was established in 2004. These two separate museums are located together in their shared building at 401 E. Freemason Street, Norfolk, VA 32510.The two museums are open to the public, free of charge, Wednesday (10 a.m. to 2 p.m.) and Friday (noon to 5 p.m.) Hours are subject to change, please call to confirm hours. For additional information and to schedule groups, call 757-441-1526.
The Myers House features a collection that draws an exceptionally accurate picture of the 18th century life of this prosperous Jewish merchant and his family. One of America’s first millionaires, Moses Myers built this Federal period home in 1792. Seventy percent of the current collection of furnishings is original to the first generation of Myers and reflects the French influences prevalent during the period.
Designed by Neff & Thompson in the Beaux Arts Classical style, the Monticello Arcade was built in 1908 and is one of only two shopping arcades in Virginia. It features elaborate terra cotta decorative elements, and, at the time it was built, the center skylight was one of the country’s largest. Novelty products from around the world were sold here in “apartment” stores.
Towering over the corner of Brambleton Avenue and Church Street, the 83-foot granite monument stands as a lasting tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and other slain civil rights leaders. The memorial conceived by Joseph A. Jordan, Jr., former Norfolk Councilman and General District Court Judge, is inscribed with quotations of Dr. King and contains a fountain at its base.