The American Rover is a three-masted topsail schooner that’s been sailing along the Elizabeth River and Hampton Roads Harbor since 1986. They offer two-hour Narrated Harbor Tours and Sunset Cruises. Sailing April through October, the American Rover picks up guests from Waterside Marina on the Downtown Norfolk Waterfront. The Sunset Cruise features live acoustic entertainment.
- The top deck of the American Rover is accessible for standard-sized, non-electric wheelchairs.
- Service animals are allowed on board.
See incredible views of the Norfolk harbor and the Navy’s Atlantic Fleet aboard City Cruises Norfolk. Enjoy delicious new menus and specialty drinks. Then, dance to DJ entertainment or relax on the new rooftop lounge. It all adds up to the perfect Norfolk experience. Cruising year-round from downtown Norfolk, Spirit offers lunch, brunch, dinner, cocktail, moonlit cruises and more.
- City Cruises is ADA Compliance certified. The first deck of the Spirit cruise is accessible. Freedom Elite is not accessible via wheelchair.
- Spirit comes equipped with an accessible restroom featuring grab bars.
- Guests aboard Spirit can freely move around the vessel. Tables and bars are positioned at a suitable level to access via wheelchair.
The Hermitage Museum & Gardens is a waterfront estate featuring an Arts and Crafts style mansion located along the Lafayette River. The museum offers innovative changing exhibitions, 12 acres of gardens and grounds, a permanent collection of over 5,000 objects representing 30 countries, outdoor concerts, year-round classes and art camp, and is a popular location for weddings. The museum and gardens are free and open to the public Tuesday through Sunday, 10 a.m.–5 p.m.
- Accessible parking spaces are available on a first come, first served basis.
- The first floor of the Hermitage Museum is wheelchair accessible via a ramp. The main front desk is situated at an adequate height for wheelchairs.
- Accessibility is limited in some areas, including the upstairs galleries and some areas of the gardens. At the museum, if someone in your party can carry your wheelchair up to the second floor, you are welcome to do so. If you are unable to visit the second floor of the museum, materials are available at the front desk upon request to provide an overview and images of the galleries upstairs.
- Some paths throughout the grounds are paved, but there is uneven terrain in some areas. Wheelchair-accessible restrooms are located adjacent to the Millstone Courtyard by the main entrance of the museum, and a single wheelchair-accessible restroom is located on the first floor of the museum.
- Service animals are permitted throughout the grounds and museum.
- If you would like a copy of the Hermitage’s self-guided tour in a language other than English, please submit a request prior to your visit by calling 757-423-2052.
- The Hermitage offers virtual tours of their museum and gardens online.
- Their website features more information about their wheelchair accessible options, as well as a map detailing accessible parking spaces and primary paths.
The MacArthur Memorial is dedicated to the life and legacy of General of the Army Douglas MacArthur. The Memorial also pays tribute to the millions of Americans who served during the Civil War, World War I, World War II and the Korean War.
- The Memorial is accessible, and there are accessible restrooms in the Visitor Center and in the Research Center.
- Service animals are allowed with identification.
- Restroom signs are marked with Braille.
- There is a ramp to the entrance with push buttons for wheelchair accessibility.
- For guests with a seeing impairment, there is a guided tour podcast accessible via QR code. Guests must provide their own listening device.
Nauticus is a maritime discovery center located along the waterfront in Downtown Norfolk offering a unique form of experiential learning for all ages. Through interactive exhibits and STEM to STERN programming, Nauticus uses the museum, Battleship Wisconsin, Sail Nauticus sailing center and Schooner Virginia to tell the story of the maritime environment, industry and the military.
- There are five on-site accessible parking spaces, available on a first come, first served basis.
- Nauticus is wheelchair accessible throughout the building via two elevators and on board the main deck of the Battleship Wisconsin. Video tours of the Battleship are available for anyone who cannot access inside the ship.
- There are accessible spaces in the Nauticus Theater.
- Assisted listening devices are available upon request in the Nauticus Theater. Requests should be made prior to the start of shows.
- Sign language interpreters can be provided with a minimum of two weeks notice.
- Closed-captioned exhibits are featured throughout the building.
- Get more details on Nauticus’ accessibility page.
Conveniently located on Interstate 64 at exit 282, Norfolk Premium Outlets offers an exciting selection of name brand stores where customers can enjoy savings of 25% to 65% every day. Among the stores Norfolk Premium Outlets features include Michael Kors, Nike Factory Store, Under Armour, Tommy Hilfiger, Columbia Sportswear and Levi’s Outlet.
- Guests will find accessible parking throughout the center.
- Norfolk Premium Outlets’ management office will facilitate delivery of a complimentary wheelchair to a patron’s vehicle.
- Restrooms feature accessible stalls.
Selden Market is a collaborative space designed to foster new street-level business ideas in Downtown Norfolk. The market provides a low-risk environment with short-term leases, a supportive development program and a community atmosphere that fosters learning and growth. Discover a rotating lineup of the city’s up-and-coming concepts in retail, food and more in the historic Selden Arcade.
- Access to Selden Market is simplified with wide entrances and ADA compliant doors featuring push buttons.
- Curb ramps and railings allow easy mobility throughout the space.
- Accessible parking is available on the street as well as in the adjoining Norfolk Hilton The Main garage.
- Curbside service is available for select businesses.
Slover Library is located in beautiful Downtown Norfolk on the corner of Plume and Atlantic Street near MacArthur Center and the MacArthur Memorial. Slover Library offers computers, internet access, interactive displays, a design studio and a video production studio.
- Slover Library features free, enhanced library services for persons who are physically disabled, visually disabled, hearing impaired or reading disabled. These services are available through the Virginia Department for the Blind and Vision Impaired. An application for these services is required and can be filled out at home and mailed in.
- The Library offers large print and audiobook formats for individuals who are blind, unable to read standard print or otherwise cannot use standard books.
- Individuals visiting Slover have access to public computers with built-in assistive technology called Ease of Access.
- There is a ramp at the entrance of the building and elevator access for all floors.
From the plains of Africa to your own backyard, the Virginia Zoo has a world of discovery for you. Open year round, the Virginia Zoo offers family fun, education, excitement and events for everyone. Meet lions, red pandas, orangutans, snakes and more. Go nose to nose with our Siamese crocodile in their immersive habitat or take a ride on the Zoo train. Explore the gorgeous gardens and enjoy an adventure for the entire family!
- Ample accessible parking is located in the nearby Zoo parking lot. Parking is free.
- The Virginia Zoo offers free entry for persons with a disability plus one accompanying guest.
- Wheelchairs are available for rent for a small fee.
- The Virginia Zoo is a certified Sensory Inclusive Facility partnered with the nonprofit Kulturecity (a global organization recognized for using their resources to revolutionize and effect change in the community for those with sensory needs.
- Sensory backpacks and weighted lap pads are available for rent in the Gift Shop located inside the Zoo. Bags include noise-reducing headphones, wacky track fidget, Monkey tube fidget, Marble fidget, visual cue card and KultureCity VIP lanyard. Bags are available to rent for a Zoo daily visit at no additional cost by leaving a photo ID at the Gift Shop. Bags must be returned at the end of each visit and are sanitized before the next use.
- Weighted lap pads are available upon request for the Zoo Train experience. Lap pads must be returned at the end of each use and are sanitized for the next guest.