Position Summary: The Director of the Norfolk Tourism Foundation (NTF) is the primary leadership position for the not-for-profit corporation and is responsible for working with the Foundation’s board of directors in creating and implementing a bold vision and strategy to achieve the Foundation’s mission and programs in support of VisitNorfolk. The Director operates in a high-profile role and must be capable of establishing, strengthening, and expanding strong alliances with key stakeholders (see list below) of the Norfolk community, including key business stakeholders, donors, Hospitality and Tourism related programs in the institutions of higher learning and Norfolk Public Schools, and the general public.
- Responsible for the growth of assets, establishing and achieving annual goals.
- Work closely with VisitNorfolk’s President and CEO to support and enhance private funding initiatives and donor relations.
- Work closely with VisitNorfolk’s Chief Financial Officer in determining priorities for the allocation of Foundation’s resources in support of VisitNorfolk.
- Work closely with the VisitNorfolk team to host annual NTF golf tournament and other fundraising activities.
- Plan with VisitNorfolk to host an annual Industry Rally recognizing the city’s most hospitable workers.
- Lead major projects and initiatives as requested by VisitNorfolk.
- Minimum three to five years nonprofit fundraising and/or program management experience.
- Track record in achieving or exceeding annual goals for fundraising (individual, grant, or corporate.)
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university. Master’s degree a plus.
- Ability to take initiative, share credit, and take responsibility for action.
- Superior multi-tasking, organizational skills, and attention to detail.
- Compelling leadership, effective board relations, and strong management skills
- Strong relationship and consensus building skills; the ability to establish and/or strengthen relationships with the following key stakeholders:
- Senior leadership of VisitNorfolk and staff;
- Hospitality and Tourism leaders;
- Business leaders;
- Local University leaders;
- Investors and entrepreneurs;
- Community leaders and the general public.
- The highest standards of ethics and integrity in all personal and professional matters; a commitment to excellence; the desire to foster civility and community.
- Seasoned intelligence; a quick study as well as a broad-gauged thinker; proclivity to think, read, speak, and write about issues related to higher education and best practices for its sustainability.
- Experience in Norfolk with business and education is a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to communicate effectively on the status of projects, programs, and events and identify problems and suggest solutions.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Suite of products and general database entry are required.
To Apply: Send your current resume and cover letter to Sarah Carroll, SHRM-CP, Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 757-622-3663 or mail to 232 E Main Street, Norfolk, VA 23510.
Internship Opportunities Available
This position is a hands-on role that works directly with the Communications Manager, Marketing Manager, Content Creator and Director of Marketing and Communications. The intern will assist the team with adding events and editing pages on the VisitNorfolk.com website, in-design projects for the sales team, research on journalist and bloggers, asset gathering for social media and more.
Norfolk Tourism Foundation Intern
The focus of this internship will be the solicitation of the NTF Annual Gourmet Golf Tournament and procurement of in-kind donations for the silent auction packages, raffle items and other giveaway prizes. Additional duties will include working with the Convention Services & Visitors Information departments. Our goal is for the intern to gain a breadth of knowledge about non-profit fundraising, the Hospitality and Tourism industry, and the City of Norfolk.
Opportunities are available in Convention Services, Marketing, Public Relations and Sales Departments.
VisitNorfolk is always looking for talented people. Check here often for fantastic opportunities to become a part of the team!
To Apply: Send your current resume and cover letter to Sarah Carroll, SHRM-CP, Director of Talent Development & Morale at email@example.com or fax to 757-622-3663 or mail to 232 E Main Street, Norfolk, VA 23510