The American Rover is a three-masted topsail schooner that’s been sailing along the Elizabeth River and Hampton Roads Harbor since 1986. They offer two-hour Narrated Harbor Tours and Sunset Cruises. Sailing April through October, the American Rover picks up guests from Waterside Marina on the Downtown Norfolk Waterfront. The Sunset Cruise features live acoustic entertainment.
- The top deck of the American Rover is accessible for standard-sized, non-electric wheelchairs.
- Service animals are allowed on board.
See incredible views of the Norfolk harbor and the Navy’s Atlantic Fleet aboard City Cruises Norfolk. Enjoy delicious new menus and specialty drinks. Then, dance to DJ entertainment or relax on the new rooftop lounge. It all adds up to the perfect Norfolk experience. Cruising year-round from downtown Norfolk, Spirit offers lunch, brunch, dinner, cocktail, moonlit cruises and more.
- City Cruises is ADA Compliance certified. The first deck of the Spirit cruise is accessible. Freedom Elite is not accessible via wheelchair.
- Spirit comes equipped with an accessible restroom featuring grab bars.
- Guests aboard Spirit can freely move around the vessel. Tables and bars are positioned at a suitable level to access via wheelchair.
Nestled on the Elizabeth River, the 36-acre Harbor Park is home to the Norfolk Tides baseball team. The Minor League Baseball stadium features over 12,000 seats, 20 luxury suites and a 300-seat restaurant. You’ll find an exceptional variety of concession food and beverages available for purchase.
- Harbor Park features 250 accessible seats available inside the stadium. These are located in Row Y of the 200-level sections, as well as Row Y of sections 121 and 123. To assure that the required number of seats can be obtained, the Tides request that attendees purchase tickets for accessible seating in advance of game day.
- An easily visible scoreboard, along with auditory updates from announcers ensure that fans can remain aware of scores, players coming to bat, as well as each and every home run and foul ball.
- Accessible parking spaces are available.
- Accessible entryways and a convenient ramp allow easy access for guests in wheelchairs.
- Accessible restrooms are available.
- Service dogs are allowed.
Norfolk Botanical Garden is nationally recognized for its deep-rooted history and celebrated for its blooms in every season. The 175-acre garden is home to more than 60 distinctive themed gardens, 95 species of birds and 30 kinds of butterflies. The garden is also home to World of Wonders, A Children’s Adventure Garden, featuring three acres where kids can explore the connections between plants, international culture and the environment, all while having fun!
- Norfolk Botanical Garden features wheelchairs available to rent for free on a first come, first served basis. Visit their front desk at Baker Hall Visitor Center. Guests will need to leave an ID on hold while the wheelchair is being checked out.
- Trams, garden pathways, picnic shelters, buildings and restrooms are wheelchair accessible.
Norfolk Kayak Rentals offers a unique way to explore the beautiful Lafayette River. Their team always puts safety first while offering a fun experience for locals and tourists of almost all ages!
- Kayaks are launched via EZ Launch Accessible Transfer System. Participants transfer from their wheelchair to a bench where they can then lower into a kayak. Convenient bars make launching and re-entering the dock a smooth process.
- For guests with hearing loss, a team member can provide visual instruction on what to do.
The beaches on Norfolk’s Chesapeake Bay are known for beautiful sunsets and calm waves. With a well-known fishing pier, bait shops and tackle rentals, it makes an ideal fishing spot as well.
- Access ramps and walkways to the beach can be found at Community Beach Park and Ocean View Beach Park.