The Martin Mansion, home to the Woman’s Club of Norfolk since 1925, is located in beautiful historic Ghent in Norfolk, Virginia. The Alvah Martin Mansion was built circa 1909. It is a 10,000 sq. ft., 21 room, brick Georgian revival and is available for a limited number of rentals per year. It is closed to events during August. The Woman’s Club purchased the Mansion in 1925 from the Martin Family; the home was originally sold in 1920 to the Virginia Club, a gentleman’s organization now located in downtown Norfolk. Norfolk’s Renaissance Man, Alvah Martin, the original owner of what is now The Woman’s Club of Norfolk, watched his stately mansion being built in 1909 from his family’s home next door. An ink portrait of Alvah and Mary Martin, discovered in the Mansion’s 3rd floor attic, now resides downstairs, kindly overseeing events at their former home. Alvah was a noted attorney, bank president, and Norfolk county clerk for 33 years. He also served on President Taft’s Executive Committee and used his influence with the President to secure the Port of Norfolk, the deepest water harbor on the US East Coast, as the port of entry for the State of Virginia, a historic maritime decision that has led to significant regional, state, national and global impact.
Historic Martin Mansion
524 Fairfax Ave., Norfolk, VA 23507 (757) 625-9318