Join Nauticus for a February Discovery Day, African American Scientists and Inventors Day. They will honor and recognize African American scientists and inventors and their contributions to the STEM field. Visitors will enjoy special programing, demos and $7.57 admission all day!
This Discovery Day will feature exciting programming like this:
- From Safety Hood to Gas Mask – Learn about the “Safety Hood,” invented by Garret Morgan, and try on a gas mask!
- Slover Storytime – Discover African American STEM literature from the Slover Library.
- Super Soaker Soccer – Highlighting inventor Lonnie Johnson and his invention of the Super Soaker.
- Make a Lightbulb – Make your own lightbulb and learn how Lewis Latimer’s filament improved the incandescent lightbulb.
- Banking on Blue Blood – Draw blue blood from our pretend horseshoe crab and run some scientific tests as we celebrate Dr. Charles Drew, the father of human blood banking.
- Golf Tee 3D Printing – See Nauticus’ 3D printer in action and even take away your own custom printed golf tee, which was invented by George Franklin Grant.
- African American Inventor Trivia – Test your knowledge!
- To The Stars – Join Norfolk State University PHD Student, Shelite Augustusas, as she teaches us about the technology that takes us To The Stars.
- Top 10 African American Inventors (video feature)
- Jerry Lawson (Video Games Inventor) – Black History Month (video feature)
Thank you to Community Partners: DrinkKicks, Slover Library, and Norfolk State University.